The original wooden lighthouse in Watch Hill, was completed in 1809, with a new one completed in 1856.
A life saving station was added in 1879, with a newer on in 1907-08. The light was automated in 1986 and can be seen for 16 nautical miles.
The lighthouse is closed to the public. The grounds are open during the day, and a museum in the oil house is open limited hours in Summer.
photo credit: Gayle Brouillard